Skip to main content

What's It Like to Be on a Youth Panel?

Maraya asks a Youth Advisory Board member what was it like to speak on a panel.

Interviewer- Maraya, YAB Youth Engagement Coordinator
Inteviewee- Bella, Youth Leader & Self-Advocate 

On Monday September 14th Bella performed a song that she had written at the 23rd Annual Bureau of Special Education Back to School Meeting.  Also, Bella participated in the opening plenary session as well as an afternoon breakout session along peers including Maraya.



Maraya: What was it like for you getting to share your real-life experiences navigating through school with the educational leaders and districts? 


Bella: “It was fun and educational. It felt good knowing that the educational leaders and directors were listening to my experiences and learning from them."
Maraya: What is one word you would use to describe what participating in a panel felt like. Share why you chose that word. 
 

Bella: “The word I would use is 'amazing,' it felt amazing participating in the panel because the educators were truly listening to me,and the other panelists. They were even taking notes on our experiences so they could bring what they learned back to their work-spaces, and hopefully create positive change.”

 

Maraya: What advice would you give another YAB member who may want to participate in panels, but may perhaps still feel a bit nervous?  What can they expect?  
 

Bella-“My advice would be to be yourself, be honest about your experiences, and don’t overthink your answers. This was my first panel, and I didn’t have a script prepared- I spoke from the heart. If you mess up, just keep going. The audience doesn’t know exactly what you planned to say. It’s like performing a song or dance routine: most of the time, you are the only person who knows you made a mistake. Just keep going, speak honestly, and have fun with it.” 

Maraya: After having heard your stories and experiences, what do you hope these leaders and educators walked away with? 


Bella: “I hope the leaders and educators walked away wanting to make changes in their own environments and ask students more questions. Accessibility is not just something that is written on an IEP- It is something that people with disabilities rely on every day. An accommodation might look right on paper, but that doesn’t always mean it is working for the particular student. Students’ needs can change over time, and every student is different. Educators can ask questions such as “Is this accommodation working for you?” ;“Do you feel safe and included?;and “Do you feel seen, valued, and heard?

If a student is struggling, don’t simply watch and assume they will ask for help. Some students may not feel comfortable speaking up or advocating for themselves yet. Ask questions, listen to the students, and never assume something is working just because it was written in their plan.” 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voice: Finding the Power in My Voice and Strength in My Self-Advocacy

Picture of Maraya outdoors in rose colored flee c e As the school year comes to a close for many of us, I wanted to introduce myself, as well as reflect on how incredible this school year has been, and the many lessons it brought.   My name is Maraya, and I am the new Youth Engagement Coordinator at  CPAC. Being a youth myself, as well as having plenty of lived experience, I am deeply passionate about self-advocacy, youth voice, independence, and empowering others to develop pride in who they are.   Since working for CPAC, I have had some awesome conversations with the Youth Advisory Board (YAB) members, and am excited to see what new and exciting things we get into moving forward.   Aside from working at CPAC, I am also currently a student at a CT State Community College. That being said, I can’t help but reflect on all the insightful lessons and experiences this experience has brought my way. This school year has been one full of growth, lessons...

Dyslexia Awareness Month By Ashley Kelly

On Monday mornings, I would hop off my school bus, glowing with enthusiasm and sporting a massive smile, eager to greet any teacher who would listen to my weekend stories. I would approach them and say, "Wanna know something?" This was my catchphrase; in fact, I used it so often that my parents and my special education reading teacher jokingly threatened to buy matching t-shirts with my photo and the phrase on them. The topic didn't matter—whether it was about cave exploration or how the Vanderbilt kids spent their summers in Rhode Island—I had learned something, felt smart, and wanted to share it. Feeling smart was tough as a student with dyslexia. Frustration with reading, speech, and math came often. My parents were aware of this, so on weekends and holidays, we explored unfamiliar places, had new experiences, and learned through hands-on activities. I was like the sponges I saw at the Mystic Aquarium, soaking up nutrients to survive. In my case, those nutrients were ...

More from Emily on Hydrocephalus Awareness Month 2025

September is hydrocephalus awareness month. Hydrocephalus is a chronic, neurological condition that is caused by an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the cavities (ventricles) of the brain. Cerebrospinal fluid is a clear liquid that protects the brain and spinal cord. Most children and adults who have hydrocephalus (like me) have a valve placed in their head called a shunt that drains the fluid directly into their abdomen or heart. Out of the twenty-six surgeries I have had, many were shunt malfunctions. My hydrocephalus was caused by a brain bleed I had at birth. I was born three months early. Another challenge was I had two shunt replacement surgeries within a short period before I began ninth grade. That was a very challenging because it made the start of my high school experience more difficult than others. Living with hydrocephalus is particularly challenging during certain weather conditions like rain or storms because I get awful headaches. Having a condition lik...