Skip to main content

What’s In My Bag as a Student with Disabilities: Lily's Tools for Success

 




By Lily Watkins, Youth Advisory Board Intern

I learned early on in life that to have a successful educational experience despite challenges in the classroom, I would need to make sure my environment and the tools I have access to are most suitable for me. My cane allows me to move freely and avoid obstacles in the crowded halls of the school, while high-contrast environments and screen readers let me experience the digital world around me by converting text to sound or organized, easy-to-read text. The removal of unnecessary obstacles like clutter helps to free up my mental energy, and organization is key to making sure that I can always find and use my supplies with as little hassle as possible. With these tools, I can make sure that I am in full control of my education and dedicated to learning.


Essential Tools & Supplies for School Success:


Assistive Technology: A computer with accessible software such as screen readers and high-contrast visual display tools.


Mobility: A white cane to allow for safe and simple navigation of obstacles both indoors and outside of the school.


Organization: Access to a dedicated, non-cluttered workspace along with organized binders for all my personal supplies.


Writing Tools: High-visibility pens alongside dark-lined paper to make physical writing tasks easier to complete. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Voice: Finding the Power in My Voice and Strength in My Self-Advocacy

Picture of Maraya outdoors in rose colored flee c e As the school year comes to a close for many of us, I wanted to introduce myself, as well as reflect on how incredible this school year has been, and the many lessons it brought.   My name is Maraya, and I am the new Youth Engagement Coordinator at  CPAC. Being a youth myself, as well as having plenty of lived experience, I am deeply passionate about self-advocacy, youth voice, independence, and empowering others to develop pride in who they are.   Since working for CPAC, I have had some awesome conversations with the Youth Advisory Board (YAB) members, and am excited to see what new and exciting things we get into moving forward.   Aside from working at CPAC, I am also currently a student at a CT State Community College. That being said, I can’t help but reflect on all the insightful lessons and experiences this experience has brought my way. This school year has been one full of growth, lessons...

Dyslexia Awareness Month By Ashley Kelly

On Monday mornings, I would hop off my school bus, glowing with enthusiasm and sporting a massive smile, eager to greet any teacher who would listen to my weekend stories. I would approach them and say, "Wanna know something?" This was my catchphrase; in fact, I used it so often that my parents and my special education reading teacher jokingly threatened to buy matching t-shirts with my photo and the phrase on them. The topic didn't matter—whether it was about cave exploration or how the Vanderbilt kids spent their summers in Rhode Island—I had learned something, felt smart, and wanted to share it. Feeling smart was tough as a student with dyslexia. Frustration with reading, speech, and math came often. My parents were aware of this, so on weekends and holidays, we explored unfamiliar places, had new experiences, and learned through hands-on activities. I was like the sponges I saw at the Mystic Aquarium, soaking up nutrients to survive. In my case, those nutrients were ...

More from Emily on Hydrocephalus Awareness Month 2025

September is hydrocephalus awareness month. Hydrocephalus is a chronic, neurological condition that is caused by an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the cavities (ventricles) of the brain. Cerebrospinal fluid is a clear liquid that protects the brain and spinal cord. Most children and adults who have hydrocephalus (like me) have a valve placed in their head called a shunt that drains the fluid directly into their abdomen or heart. Out of the twenty-six surgeries I have had, many were shunt malfunctions. My hydrocephalus was caused by a brain bleed I had at birth. I was born three months early. Another challenge was I had two shunt replacement surgeries within a short period before I began ninth grade. That was a very challenging because it made the start of my high school experience more difficult than others. Living with hydrocephalus is particularly challenging during certain weather conditions like rain or storms because I get awful headaches. Having a condition lik...